Superheroes and their stories help kids learn in lots of ways! By thinking and talking about superheroes, kids are learning to:
Ø Envision possible lives,
Ø Feel empathy for others,
Ø Make sense of media and cultural constraints,
Ø Use conceptual thinking skills,
Ø Explore the outcomes of different behaviors and attitudes, and
Ø Think about community, citizenship and values.
Here are questions you can ask to help your child think about superheroes:
- Why do we have superheroes?
- What do superheroes do?
- Who are some superheroes?
- Who is your favorite? Why?
- What sorts of powers do superheroes have? How do they get them? How do they use them? What obstacles does a superhero overcome?
- How can you be like your superhero?
Help superheroes come alive for your child – dress as a superhero and join us at Hickman High School on October 20, 2010!